At the turn of the century…
In 1907, the original piece of Bukit Arang land was in the district known as AMOKIAH (predecessor of today’s Ang Mo Kio). It belonged to a widow named Tan Poh Neo who inherited it from her husband. On 8 July 1907 she sold this piece of land to Yeo Chow Cheng, a planter.
Yeo was a Christian worshipping with the brethren in the Chinese Gospel Hall. The Lord opened his heart and in the next year, 1908, he donated this piece of land to the Chinese Gospel Hall.
Thus, the Chinese Gospel Hall in Bukit Arang began and the Chinese work continued through the Japanese occupation years. From this period (1942 to 1945), through to the end of the Second World War in August 1945, and right up to 1953, services were held only on Sundays.
It was during the late sixties and the early seventies that the impetus of our present development began to take shape. when the English-speaking assembly at Bras Basah Road took a leading role in the development of the present site.
In 1968, the Elders at Bethesda Bras Basah Road first mooted the idea of building a new Gospel Hall on the 2-acre land at Bukit Arang, which was in the vicinity of Toa Payoh and Upper Serangoon Road.
1975 marked the completion of the church building – a three storey building standing oddly in a kampong setting amidst low zinc-roofed wooded structures. It was accessible by a footpath from Jalan Girang.
So it was when the opportunity came, a vision of a new work conceived, faith and hard work complemented each other, that the church building finally took concrete form as we have today.